Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fresh Mediterranean Seafood at Taverna Kyclades

If I had to choose one restaurant to represent the heart and soul of old Astoria, Taverna Kyclades would be it.

This Grecian seafood eatery is simple, fresh, and authentic. It's also a local favorite (check out its fantastic Yelp reviews). Its unadulterated dishes really showcase the freshness of the daily catch and the pure flavors of Mediterranean cuisine.

Let's let the grub speak for itself!


Peasant Salad (tomatoes, cucumbers, kalamata olives, feta cheese)


Fried Whiting with Roasted Lemon Potatoes


Grilled Squid with Roasted Lemon Potatoes


The Last Bite: While I do appreciate creative chefs who carefully construct gourmet meals, use perfect flavor combinations and top them off with fancy presentations, sometimes I just want to eat a good plain meal that looks, feels, and tastes like it were made by two human hands. Perhaps it's the struggling beginner chef in my head that wants to believe that I can make great-tasting dishes too, without all the fuss! Perhaps it's the dormant prehistoric cavewoman in my body that longs for the gratifying feeling of eating something that I hunted or fished for. Or maybe, it's just honesty that I'm craving. Whatever it is, Taverna Kyclades fulfills it.

For its simplicity and sincerity, this Astoria gem has me hooked on the best Greek seafood in Queens.

1 comment: