Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Getting Comfortable, Southern-Style at Lowcountry NYC

[Edit: Here's a non-Queens related piece that I wrote for another New York blog, The Urban Tourist. Many thanks to its author, Chelsea, for letting me contribute! Check out my post on her blog here, along with her super cool NYC finds!]


I took a mini vacation to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina last weekend, with huge hopes of finally getting to eat traditional Southern cuisine once again (New Orleans, Louisiana was my first and only taste of the authentic South last year and I loved it!).

What actually ensued was a thoroughly disappointing experience for my tastebuds. Myrtle Beach's American fare crushed my drool-inducing dreams of devouring gumbo, shrimp and grits, Charleston red rice, collard greens, fried chicken, and buttermilk biscuits time and time again, with its plain and redundant offerings of hamburgers, hot dogs, and french fries. After searching endlessly for South Carolina's rich, complex, and buttery comfort food all weekend, I solemnly boarded the plane back to New York City, still starving for some Southern grub.

Interestingly enough, I discovered just what I was looking for when I got back to New York City. Yes, I transported myself to the Carolinas by taking the 1 train down to the West Village and visiting Lowcountry an understated speakeasy-style restaurant specializing in Southern cuisine. Everything on the menu looked delicious! Check it out here.

I had the BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders to start, followed by the Carolina Shrimp & Cheddar Grits with a side of Collard Greens with Bacon. For dessert, we tried the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake with Bourbon Ice Cream and Pralines. Amazing!






This meal definitely hit the spot and I immediately felt guilty for betraying my beloved city, for attempting to find better food somewhere else. Now I know it can't be done. Sometimes, as a native New Yorker, I take for granted and even forget the possibilities within this place, in terms of culture and cuisine. So, I'd like to give major props to Lowcountry and also to The Urban Tourist, for helping us all remember how much New York City has to offer.

Lowcountry
142 West 10th Street, NYC
Between Greenwich Avenue & Waverly Place

No comments:

Post a Comment